Monday, October 03, 2005

Migraine with a side of poached egg

Those who know me well know that I'm no stranger to migraines. We have a long history together. I can remember getting them as far back as 3rd grade. This afternoon I developed one while at work and it wasn't long before I knew I couldn't finish out my classes for the evening. Fortunately back-up was available in the form of a sub and shortly after my class let out at 6:30, I was on my way home to rest and recover.

Take two of these and call me in the morning.
As with most aliments, I've found that when people here have headaches, it's not uncommon for them to go to the doctors. Two reasons I suspect for this are 1) aisles of pain relievers don't seem to exist at the drugstores so finding the right pain reliever can be difficult or impossible 2) a trip to the dr. (which includes prescriptions) can be cheaper than picking something up from the drugstore to medicate yourself. Fortunately I have pain reliever at home and taking something and sleeping off the migraine seems to be the best remedy I've found.

Around the time I start to feel some relief, the nausea fades, my appetite picks up slightly, and all I want to eat is a poached egg and toast. For me, a poached egg is to a migraine what chicken soup is to a cold. It's not a cure, but somehow it just helps you feel better. It's a comfort food. I think it all began back in jr. high when, on occasion, I used to come home early from school due to a migraine. After I'd rested for a bit, my mom usually insisted that I have something to eat - probably because I'd missed lunch at school and because she didn't want me using medicine on an empty stomach. While I didn't feel much like eating (I usually felt like vomiting) she'd insist on at least making toast, and then along with it, she make me a poached egg. Somehow it just made me feel better, despite the fact that eggs often trigger headaches, and now I always associate the two. Tonight I had to make my own egg, for the first time I think, but it's the memories that count and it still helped me feel a bit better.

So how about you? What's your comfort food when sick or blue?

No comments: