Thursday, May 04, 2006

English is Fashionable

"A day for chic dream genies and decadent dandy lion nights, for periwinkle platinum and arcane delights" - as seen on a shirt recently by a friend.

Here's a throwback to my days of perusing wearables at American Eagle or scoping out a unique gift at Pier 1 with scrawlings of Chinese or some form of Asian calligraphy. Did I ever stop to wonder what things said or if they even said anything at all? Not really. Sometimes words appear as art and the content seems irrelevant. I've now entered a life on the flipside where I crack up at the saying on clothing because I understand what the wearers often don't. I also understand when there's nothing to be understood, just random letters on something.
Ah, English is fashionable. So why am I never in-style?

1 comment:

@ロウ 。LOW@ said...

You are right -- "yellow_eye" appear to be beautiful combination of words to me. But it's content (meaning of the words) did come in later.

It's good to know the meaning of some chinese or japanese character on your shirt even if it's artistic enough :)