Friday, May 19, 2006

Just another day in traffic

While driving home during my lunch break this afternoon, I witnessed a woman fly through a traffic light and strike a man on the crosswalk. I'm sure she would argue that it wasn't her fault since, after all, she did honk her horn insanely to warn everyone that she had no intention of stopping at the light. My impression here is that if you honk your horn loud enough and long enough, that sort of relinquishes any responsibility on the part of the driver to actually obey traffic rules. Here I come, you've been warned!

I think one of the things that bothers me the most about driving here is the number of avoidable accidents if people would just exercise some common sense. Prior to coming here, I had read something in Lonely Planet to the effect of "the Taiwanese would drown in their own bathtub," which is totally harsh but it sort of summed up the writer's impression of common sense in Taiwan. Sadly, on far too many occasions, I've seen how one might come to such a conclusion, especially while on the road.

5 comments:

~sarah said...

your blog date says Friday the 19th, but i'm reading it on Thursday the 18th. woah. it's a communique from the future!

watch the roads and obey all honking. i want you to live!!!!

Miriam Easterling said...

Preach it!

Anonymous said...

I think that sort of stuff happens more in Kaohsiung (or just southern Taiwan in general) -- I've almost never seen such insanely stupid traffic accidents in Taichung. Or maybe people just know not to be stupid around me.

E

Kara said...

Tis true, I think Kaohsiung and the South are more notorious for stupid traffic stuff. Even in Taipei, things seem to run more efficiently and friends have told me they're much stricter on traffic voilations there. And yes, I think one of the things I really like about your city is that it feels so different from Kaohsiung and you can feel it just by driving or walking around. Things seem better organized and laid out in Taichung and people seem more willing to comply with traffic laws. You've just got to watch out for people hauling manure and random office furniture in the back of blue trucks. ;)

@ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Sometime you honk so much that honking would serve no warning purpose anymore. For me it's like shouting to someone, honking is.

But then, safety first. You just have to take them seriously :p