Monday, August 07, 2006

Departing

"I'm leaving on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again."

That song seems to be on replay in my mind this evening as I gather, sort, and pack. I've just enjoyed two wonderful weeks at home on vacation and sadly I depart for the airport in about 2 hours to return to Taiwan. Each time I come home I find it a bit harder to go back and during my last few days I usually find myself wondering, "Why would I ever want to leave this place?" If it were not for returning to friendships in Taiwan, it would be even more difficult to convince myself to go back.

Though changes do occur in my absence, the ease with which I've been able to slip back into my life at home makes it all the more difficult to believe that a whole year passes between my visits. Falling back into place at home makes it difficult to imagine I have a whole other life on the other side of the world. However, I'm about to rejoin the reality of that other world quite soon. Fortunately my work schedule has been a bit lighter than usual this summer, so I appreciate that I'll have a bit more free time to unpack and process the past two weeks and two months. It's been a full yet fullfilling summer and there are still a few more weeks to go before another summer draws to a close. I hope to soon bring you up to speed on the events of my summer but for now, I've got to finish packing!

No comments: