Sunday, November 26, 2006

Thanksgiving at the kiddie table

Last night I attended Thanksgiving dinner. In the company of friends and strangers, Americans, Brits, South Africans, and Taiwanese, old traditions were shared and new ones forged. Amazing food abounded. Lively conversation, show tunes around the piano, and wine flowed freely.

A few brought their families and that meant kids. While there was no kiddie table, there was a kiddie room where the troops were entertained with George of the Jungle. In the presence of a roomful of interesting adults, I chose to hang out with kids, the very creatures I'm surrounded by day in and day out. My recent state of anti-social melancholy led me to seek sanctuary among those who wouldn't expect me to talk or to have something interesting and snappy to add to the conversation. It was a rewarded decision. In the midst of self-banishment, I found myself happy. For the first time in days, unforced smiles returned.

Later in the evening when the place cleared out, 4 of us remained and we had an impromptu Simpson's mini-marathon. There's no replacement for good friends. It was great to laugh again. It was great to want to laugh again. It was great to feel happy, even if just for awhile. I don't know why the cloud of gloom has been overhead recently but it was nice to escape its shadow for a bit and feel warmth again. Today the doldrums resumed but I'm determined to drive the blues away with punk and ska. After all, how can one feel down skankin'?

1 comment:

~sarah said...

i know what you mean. sometimes too many people can be overwhelming. in a packed room, i too gravitate towards the kids or a small, peaceful pocket of a few known friends. nothing to be ashamed of! ; )