Monday, December 11, 2006

marking the day

Today is the day in my family's house known as the day I broke my mother's heart. It's otherwise known as my Taiwan anniversary. Today marks 4 years in Formosa and true to tradition, I again find myself wondering "What was I thinking?" Will there be a 5th? At this moment, I can safely say, only time will tell.


In other celebratory news, I recently received a box of cakes to commemorate the one month birthday of my boss's son. In Taiwan, several occasions are marked by gifts being given to friends and family - not just to the one with something to celebrate. For example, when a couple gets engaged, boxes of cookies are given out to relatives, friends, and acquaintances. For the one month birthday of a child, cakes are given. It's an interesting contrast from Western traditions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmm... those look really yummy. so, following other Taiwanese traditions, i'm guessing they were not? : ) ~sarah

Kara said...

oddly enough, most of them were surprisingly good. i guess every now and then there are rule breakers.