Friday, March 16, 2007

a new spring in my step

While the vernal equinox may yet be a few days off, as I went to work, I couldn't help but think that today felt like a Spring day. As much as I'd like to think I'm above it, sometimes I really do need to feel things in order to convince myself they're really happening.

Having grown up in a place where 4 seasons display themselves to the fullest, it's difficult to reside where the signs of change are so subtle they're easily missed and eventually, everything runs together and becomes an eternal summer. However, today, for whatever reason, an inkling of change was in the air. As I arrived at work and took one last look at daylight, one last breath of slightly sweeter air, I sighed with the gladness of feeling Spring's arrival.

Don't get me wrong, winter is still my favorite time of the year, but each season holds something worth experiencing and hence something worth missing. And so, I'm guilty of lamenting the things about Spring I was once accustomed to.

I miss:
the signs of life returning
trees no longer skeletal
rabbits and birds once again taking up residence in the yard
rain and dew
perfectly comfortable temperatures
tulips, lillies, daffodils, and lilacs set in bloom
the lengthening days

Each season seems to represent a unique time of change and Spring seems to be a time for awakening, a return to life. There's always been a sweet sorrow wrapped up in the change - letting go of the winter I love to embrace the bustle of uncertainty that envelopes growth. Somewhere in all that transitioning, I seem to find myself. Perhaps it's because I was born when the snow was giving it's last hurrah blanketing flowers pushing their way into life. While the new life wins out as winter melts away for another year, it was nice to be blanketed for a season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well then why don't you be very "American" and go home?