Thursday, April 12, 2007

get out of town

Last week we had a Thursday-Sunday 4 day weekend. Despite having winter vacation just 2 months ago, I was already feeling a desperate need to not only get out of town but out of the country for a few days. My sights were set on Japan, specifically Tokyo. The timing seemed perfect. A cousin currently has a house there so not only could I visit with a relative, I'd have accommodations. Second, the cherry blossoms where in bloom. For some reason, since I've come to Taiwan I've had a goal of making it to Japan during Cherry Blossom Festival but until now, I've never had the time off to do so. Finally, it would have been a cool way to spend Easter and my birthday but alas, it was not to be. In the end, a one hour Saturday morning obligation for which I could not find a sub kept me in town. I've recently been encountering frustrations with this particular obligation so to loose a 4 day weekend due to it was to add insult to injury, especially when in the past we've rarely had these mini-breaks during the year. Of course no one wanted to sub because they too had the same idea - get out of town, and I couldn't blame them. Responsibility won again, blasted!


I did, however, manage to escape for at least 2 of the 4 days and spent time relaxing with friends on a nearby island. The break was filled with plenty of reading on the beach, beach combing, exploring tide pools, aimless driving, and sea-gazing, a perfect prescription for life as of recent. The holiday in observance that weekend was Tomb Sweeping Day, a time to pay respect and honor the dead. Incidentally, this island was the very place I spent the holiday last year, though under slightly blue-er skies. Photos from my most recent trip and not ready to be developed, so here are a few from last year in my tribute to the holiday and escaping city life.

No comments: