Sunday, May 13, 2007

spilt milk

What I should have been doing this weekend was take care of some of the glaringly obvious tasks that need done around the house such as sweeping up paper scraps from prepping Mother's Day crafts for 70 kids or addressing the mountain of laundry that must be leapt over to get from my bed to my dresser. Seriously, I'm not a slob and I hate mess, however, busyness and procrastination remain my constant companions.

I've not been entirely unproductive around the house though. Instead of the more immediate things that need done, I've been tackling the odd jobs, the tasks usually reserved for the occasional rainy day. Perhaps I should be living in Paris or Seattle - I'd be getting more accomplished. No rain today, however, there was the pesky need to cross something off the to-do list before the weekend diminished and thus, I dismantled and cleaned my computer keyboard, piece-by-piece. My original attempt was to use small q-tips to clean between keys and ultimately beneath them, however, once the first key accidentally popped off, I saw my golden opportunity. Dismantling was a must.

Let me rewind for a moment. My keyboard has become proof as to why one, or at least I, should not eat or drink near the computer. Back in the fall during the first week of ownership of my lovely new mac, I christened the keyboard with chicken noodle soup when I had a mishap as I attempted to complete the task of sitting down at the desk with a bowl of soup. I'm ashamed to say, there was another incident with soup during the winter months. Have I not learned my lesson?! Me and the need to multi-task - what good can come of it? Then there was the past week when my keyboard suffered the fate of an introduction to milk, an encounter which has rendered my left Shift key useless, but I'm glad that was the only damage. My clumsiness astounds me sometimes. Beyond that, do you know how awkward it is to suddenly have to use the right Shift for all capitalization? Reconditioning is annoying.

So, have I learned my lesson yet? I suppose not, as I've dripped water on the keypad twice while composing this. Tomorrow is a new day, however, and hopefully a drier and safer future is in store for the keyboard.

No comments: