Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Double 10


Ahh, another partial work week granted to us compliments of Taiwan's National Day - 10/10. I decided to make it a day at home to accomplish some frequently put off tasks - sorting papers, letter writing, laundry, blogging. . . For my company, I selected a few famous classic flicks that I've previously not see. I love that I can get classic films on dvd for $1 at my local supermarket. So, first up was Gone With the Wind. I caved and decided to find out what all the fuss was about. What I discovered was a long movie, a very LONG movie, chockfull of old Hollywood cheesiness but in the end, I still kind of liked it. However, I didn't like the cliffhanger ending. I mean, will Scarlett ever get Rhett back? What will become of Ashley and Beau? Will she be content to stay at Tara? Oh Tara, Tara! How it makes me long for my own non-Southern, unnamed, fraction-of-the-size home of my youth. As for Scarlett, for some reason I had not imagined her to be such a despisable, selfish creature, and yet somehow in the end, I still found myself wanting to root for her, wanting her to find a way to redeem herself for all the poor and selfish choices she had made. Oh those Hollywood film makers, they're tricky like that - convincing you to side with an arguable villainess.

Anyway, next on the list for my viewing pleasure is Casablanca, another film I've yet to see. While I've enjoyed the trip to yesteryear, I think for my next movie day I might explore something a bit more modern such as Pulp Fiction or First Knight. Despite my years of movie watching, I think I've seen surprisingly few of the more famed cinematic selections. Any suggestions of what to add to my rainy day "must see" list?

4 comments:

mendacious said...

gaslight is totally worthy of a rainy day. and a fav of mine.

the birds...
soylent green...
the terminator...
aliens...
kill bill?!
hmm...

Anonymous said...

Holy mother.

I LOVE Casablanca. I was obsessed with it for awhile this summer (still am). I downloaded the transcript off the Internet and am reading it right now.

Kara said...

ah yes, the picture of obsession you are. i enjoyed funny face this summer. just try to stop me from dancin' during the beatnik tap scene, i dare ya!

Anonymous said...

The beatnik tap scene? How about Michael Jackson's Thriller???
(Not as classic, but just as memorable.)