Wednesday, October 31, 2007

C is for Cookie

Deviating momentarily from the funk the past few weeks have found me in, there has been a bright spot or two amongst the recent daily grind.

I love music and I've started to implement music into a few of my classes that are otherwise deprived. Music gets used as a teaching tool in beginner classes but quickly fades from the curriculum and classroom once English acquisition picks up a bit. So, I've decided to work it back in, particularly with my first crop of kids for the day, as they are generally sleepy-headed zombies as they file into class. Music during our "set-up and get ready for class" time seems to help my students transit to a state of awakeness and also seems to motivate them in our writing time at the end of class. An instant hit with my 2nd graders has been the Cookie Monster's "C is for Cookie." They love it! And man, I love it too - I can keep them in line and productive simply with the promise to play it.

Moving right along, this year my school did not celebrate Halloween and I admit, I'm not disappointed. Halloween parties can end up being a lot of work and overall, the efforts are rewarded by lots of complaints and whining from the kids. However, in the spirit of Fall, I made pumpkin cookies to share with my classes, garnished with candy corn (Thanks, Sarah! Believe it or not, I still have some left.).


I just knew that if I went to class and actually told the kids that I brought them pumpkin cookies, I'd have a room full of "Eww's" and turned up noses. So, instead, I just offered them a cookie. I let them have up to 3 if they wished, as they were small, and many took me up on the opportunity and had 2 or 3. After they ate and enjoyed their cookies, I took delight in asking if they knew what kind of cookie they were. Of course no one did, and with a smile I told them that they just ate pumpkin cookies. "But teacher, I don't like pumpkin!" shouted several. "Really? That's funny, because you just ate 3 pumpkin cookies. I guess maybe you might like it after all." was my reply. Playing tricks on students - just one of the joys of being a teacher, right up there with tests and homework.

2 comments:

~sarah said...

ahhh, candy corn - the candy that lasts forever. : ) i was thinking i should take advantage of the after-halloween sales to stock you up again! : )

Anonymous said...

Did you play Michael Jackson's "Thriller" and teach them how to dance to it?

Oh oh oh! How about "The Q-tip"?