Thursday, September 01, 2005

Typhoon's a comin'

Batten down the hatches, the typhoon draws nigh. As I drove to work this morning, I could already feel the typhoon's approach in the occasional strong gusts of wind. By the afternoon, the underside of leaves on arching trees set the backdrop out classroom windows. By the time I arrived home this evening, the sound of the wind was growing louder and stronger.

And now the rain has begun. According to meteorological services, the eye of the storm is just beginning to pass over the island with winds gusting up to 111 mph. While the eye should be past the island by morning, the radius will continue to move over us until Thursday evening. This is the second typhoon to hit this summer, the first being in July while I was home in the States. However, it is only the beginning of typhoon season so more are in store.

What this means for me is that tomorrow is a Typhoon Day. It's kind of like the Snow Days I looked forward to as a kid only minus the snow and add in plenty of rain, strong wind, and humidity. So basically nothing like a Snow Day except that there's no school tomorrow. For the most part, when a typhoon hits, the island shuts down. I confess looking forward to Typhoon Days because I enjoy having a day off stranded indoors every now and then, though of course I'm concerned for the safety of others and hope the damage is minimal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a stronger person than I am. One of my biggest fears has always been high wind. Ever since I was little I was always terrified of it. You could build me the strongest building in the world and I'd still be afraid it'd blow over in a storm.

Stay safe over there.

- Matt

Anonymous said...

Hey! How 'bout something new already? I need some good reading on my lunch breaks b/c I haven't decided what book to tackle next... : )

mendacious said...

um POST MORE PLEASE!!!