Friday, September 23, 2005

Qualities of an Ideal Mate:
(according to my class of 4th-6th grade students)

Top answers given by the boys:
Wife
1. Makes a lot of money
2. Can do housework
3. Has a good heart
4. Beautiful
5. She's a teacher
6. She's a doctor

Top answers given by the girls:
Husband
1. Knows many languages
2. Smart
3. Doesn't go out to drink beer
4. Responsible
5. Listens to you
6. Doesn't smoke

This was one of the follow-up assignments after reading a true story about a man who had a classified ad for finding wife painted on the side of his truck. I was impressed that the students actually gave the assignment some serious thought and I was further impressed by the answers offered by the girls.

Not a single student out of 17 cared if their spouse could cook. I found this interesting because I think it holds a higher place in Western or American culture. When I pointed out the fact that no one mentioned cooking the boys laughed hysterically and most commented that their mom doesn't even know how to cook, so it's ok - they can eat out all the time. This of course explains why they're so easily impressed anytime I make something for them - like on the rare occasion, cookies, or even something as simple as jell-o or a boiled egg. Can't get much more basic than a boiled egg, yet when I cooked eggs for them to color last Easter, they raved about how delicious they were. Considering people eat eggs all the time in Taiwan and you can buy boiled "tea" eggs at the corner 7-Eleven, these kids are impressed way too easily.

Side note - Coolest way I've ever cooked an egg: on the beach in the boiling water of a natural saltwater hot spring - Green Island, Taiwan (one of only 3 hot springs in the world fed by saltwater).

No comments: