Saturday, October 08, 2005

Alien Abduction

That's alien as in foreigner, and foreigner as in me. This afternoon, I learned what may happen when I try to move home from Taiwan.

Me: (to a class of 4th - 6th graders that I teach daily) Next week I will tell you when you will give your next speech.
Rosa: How about we give the speech next year, like next October 6.
Me: Oh, okay, so you want to say your speech for your new teacher next year.

Huh? - At this, the students looked at one another and me befuddled as in, why would I ever want to leave Taiwan?

Class: (random shouting) No! You can't go! You have to teach us! We love you!
Me: Yeah, right! That's why you always complain, don't listen, and don't finish your work.
Wayne: But what will you do? If you leave, you will have no money?
Me: I will get a new job in the U.S. I can't stay here forever. One day I will leave, but not right now. I will still be your teacher this year at least.

Wayne: If you try to move home, we will kidnap you and take you to a garage and tie you to a chair and we will come everyday and you will have to teach us English.
Me: Okay then, I won't tell you when I'm leaving.
Sam: That's okay. You can leave tomorrow. You can leave today.
Me: Thanks Sam.
Ruby: No! Don't listen to Sam. In his heart, he is really crying.
Sam: No!
Kelly: Sam, your heart is metal.

So, if it's around the time for me to return from Taiwan and I suddenly go missing, kindly alert the authorities to start tracking the comings and goings of a boy named Wayne.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds as if you are loved.

Anonymous said...

I remember when I taught the kids in Yonkers. It was hard enough leaving after 3 months. They didn't want me to go. For a lot of them, it was just the simple fact that someone gave them attention and was interested in them and what they do. Many of them didn't get that at home. I can't even imagine how much these kids have grown to love you over 3 years.