Monday, January 16, 2006

an explosion, shattered glass, darkness, alarms, screams, crying, blood, panic, sirens, questions. This was my Sunday evening ...

...but now, Monday morning has returned. It's raining outside as though to wash away the thoughts of what happened last night, but the memories of such will not be so easily forgotten, at least not until the clean up is finished. For now, the sound of broken glass being swept and gathered can still be heard from the street below.

It occurred sometime near 6:00 pm. The evening was suddenly disturbed by an invisible force- a loud blast, an explosion, and the sound of breaking glass, shattered and raining to the floor. Darkness seemed everywhere. Evening had already settled in outside and the lights inside were off except for that of the tv. Was that a bomb? Get out! Those were the first thoughts I could process. Flinging on my coat, shoes, and purse, I fled. Outside the door, fire alarms were ringing and flashing on each level. Proceeding down the stairwell 9 floors, I was met by neighbors. Glass, plaster, and mortar crunched underfoot on the landings between floors. Outside we waited. The sirens of approaching fire trucks, police cars, and ambulances filled the night, as did the voices of panic, yelling, and crying.

I reached for my phone to call Becky but what do I say? "I'm okay, I'm okay" is all that comes out at first. I must have sounded crazy but it was the first time in all of this I was forced to pause, process, and vocalize what had just happened. And what had just happened? I still didn't know. How do you describe something you've yet begun to understand? Looking around, windows and glass doors were gone everywhere from lower level apartments and neighboring houses. The sounds of glass falling could still be heard through the commotion. Look! There was one of my downstairs neighbors, someone I've shared the elevator with a number of times. Tonight though, he was staggering from the building, shirt-less, shoe-less, and still in shock, cut and bleeding all over, no doubt from flying glass.

Eventually the crowd dwindled until mostly only those from my tower remained, awaiting instruction. By this point we had learned that a gas explosion occurred at a home directly behind my apartment building. Once things were under control at the source, firemen came to inspect our homes, the building manager came to take photos, and friends came to be of support and help clean up. What amazing friends I have here! Having a better idea of what transpired and knowing that I was okay should have been enough to make me feel okay again. However, I suppose emotions operate on a sense of logic all their own. I sent Becky a message that things were okay now, we could even go back into our homes, so she didn't have to come over, but she still did, along with Rick. I can't tell you how much of a help it was to have them around, not just because Rick cleaned up most of the glass and Becky contacted the landlady to notify her about what happened. Their presence alone was a comfort to me and it was nice to have someone to babble to about what happened. At that time, I think conversation was the only thing saving me from having the event replay in my head. I hadn't realized until later how much I needed the diversion that they provided.

We got the glass cleaned up rather quickly, headed out for some fresh air and a bite to eat, and then came back and watched a movie. Dinner and a movie with friends - seems like such a normal way to spend a night on the weekend - an ending so different from how the evening began.

No comments: