Sunday, January 15, 2006

life, death, and the heaviness of uncertainty

Where's a rooftop when I need one? No, I'm not thinking about jumping. The rooftop has become a place I associate as my safety when the weight of the world and the heaviness of the day become a bit too great. At my previous apartment, the roof became my place of solace where my roommate, and friend, Becky and I could escape the day for a bit at night. On the rooftop I could release my burdens, casting them into the night without knowing where the wind would carry my words, my cries, my tears, my songs. On the rooftop, burdens shared became burdens lightened. What joy there is in having someone to confide in, someone to dump on, someone who continues to want to listen, and someone who will pray with you and for you.

Though I moved from that place 2 years ago, there are still nights when I miss those evenings on the roof. I think this past week in particular was a week made for the roof. Each day seemed to bring bad news from some direction back home - news of death, hardships in life, and uncertainty for the future. My heart was heavy this week with a burden for those I'm far from but feel so near to. However, there's comfort in knowing I don't need a roof to cry out to God and that good friends are still close by.


No comments: