Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Re-adjusting

My first week back on island from summer vacation could be characterized by a week of a solid Pop-Tart and popsicle diet followed by a week of cereal and slushies, though not combined. I'm pleased to say that I've finally incorporated the healthier and wiser choices of salad, fruits, omelets, and even soup. Due to my prevailing desire to have American foods, especially ones I can fix fast to limit my time spent in non-air conditioned rooms, I once again took to rummaging the cabinets in search of some treasures among the array of boxed and canned goods I've accumulated. What I found and settled upon was a can of Cream of Asparagus I bought a while back.

During all my years in the U.S., I never knew Campbell's made such a soup but leave it to Taiwan to import such an oddity.
Anytime I have asparagus related grub, I'm usually reminded of the episode of Alf when Brian had to dress as a stalk of asparagus for a school play and his dad wrote a ditty for him to sing. It's one of the few episodes I remember. It's funny the things that stick with us from childhood, and sad the things that don't.

My discovery of the soup also brought to mind an episode with another American tv family. I couldn't help but recall the Simpson's episode with the hurricane that hit Springfield where everyone flocked to the store to stock up on necessities and all that was left when Marge got there were things like Creamed Eel. I suppose that while my meals for now might seem random or a bit odd, there will always be far worse, or at least more imaginative alternatives out there. As for now, I'm content to stick with the asparagus.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this mean when I visit you in October, you'll be dressed up as some Campbell's soup flavour, a vegetable stalk, or a Pop Tart?

"Cool",
E

Kara said...

well, october is the month for halloween and thus costumes, so you'll just have to wait and see.

Anonymous said...

Oh, pardon me, I should've asked:

Are you going to dance to Michael Jackson's "Thriller" while dressed as a soup can, vegetable stalk, or Pop Tart?

Kara said...

that can be arranged.