Sunday, September 10, 2006

Blest Be the Tie

I was reminded of a favorite hymn as I played a cd this evening that was given me over the summer. The cd consists of guitar music performed by a member of my home church - mostly the musician's favorite hymns and some patriotic stuff, but I've been enjoying it greatly nonetheless. When it reached track 10: Blest Be the Tie, I was flooded with memories of singing that tune in church, especially during times when the church or its members were facing hardships. It's amazing now to reflect upon those times and see how things have changed or unfolded since then. What a joy it is to see how God worked through some of those challenges.

The song also brings a touch of comfort. Hearing someone I know, someone I even had weeknight "jam" sessions with on my bass, made home feel not so far away and somehow makes Heaven feel not so far away either. It's cool to think of the ties that bind us to others - others across town, across the country, across the world. This summer Becky, Rick and I had the opportunity to share a bit of our life, work, and ministry in Taiwan with our home church. It was great to form stronger ties with those already connect to us as prayer partners and wonderful to make new ties.

Finally, despite my current longings to be home experiencing a beautiful Fall, the song serves as a reminder that my delight should be found in the Lord, that my heart should be set on Heaven.

1.Blest be the tie that binds
Our hearts in Christian love
The fellowship of kindred minds
Is like to that above.

2. Before our Father's throne,
We pour our ardent prayers;
Our fears, our hopes, our aims are one,
Our comforts, and our cares.

3. We share our mutual woes,
Our mutual burdens bear;
And often for each other flows
The sympathizing tear.

4. When we asunder part,
It gives us inward pain;
But we shall be joined in heart,
And hope to meet again.

-John Fawcett, 1782

What a great reminder that no matter what far reaches of the earth I find myself, I am tied to those who lift me up in prayer and to those I pray for, bound to others by burdens shared, and joined with hearts in friendship and love.

No comments: