Saturday, September 30, 2006

Cynicism with a side of Sarcasm

Bunny. Now there's a word we never seem to teach to kids in Taiwan. Rabbit, they know, but bunny, not a clue. Anyway, that's not the point of this exercise.


One Friday night after a long week of work, I stepped outside the front doors of the school and saw a white rabbit hanging out at the shoe rack. I probably did something like rub my eyes in disbelief or checked to see if someone was hiding nearby carrying out some sort of practical joke, for not more than a few yards away is an area known for park dogs, against which a rabbit would not stand a chance. Though it hopped into one of the cubbyholes of the shoe shelf, it didn't seem to mind my approaching it. Obviously, it had been someone's pet. Apparently that someone decided they no longer wanted it and as people here tend to do with their dogs (even expensive purebreds), the owner dumped it off. After all, it's common knowledge that domesticated rabbits are known for their street smarts and survival skills when abandoned in a city full of street dogs. I'm sure it was no accident that the rabbit was left near a school where surely some child, parent, or in this case, teacher, would take pity and adopt the stray street bunny. The plan worked. After calling out my co-workers to insure that I indeed wasn't seeing things, one decided to take it home, clean it up, and eventually find a new owner for it. We found out later that a few of our students saw a man drop it off outside earlier that day, discarding his once pet.

Last night, another Friday night after another busy week at work, I once again spotted a rabbit in a place where it didn't belong - my building's elevator. This time, however, the rabbit appeared in the form of the Easter Bunny on a newly posted sign. My guess is that the sign is regarding festivities at my complex for the upcoming Moon Festival, but what really caught my eye was the Easter clipart in a lower corner. You can't get much more Easter inspired than a collage with a cross, lilies, colored eggs, and the Easter Bunny. Sure, I suppose that not knowing it's intended use, one might not think it an unusual selection. It probably just seemed like a nice or perhaps even festive general purpose picture. However, I would think it quite obvious to not fit with the Moon Fest theme, but maybe that's just me.




2 comments:

~sarah said...

you mean, you don't know that if the easter bunny comes out during a full moon and sees his shadow, it means only real eggs, no chocolate, for the rest of the year?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Kara, what did you THINK?? GOSH!