Friday, December 01, 2006

6 weird things about me

As though I've not provided sufficient examples already, I've been tagged to blog on the topic of 6 weird things about me. Despite protests, I've decided to concede. So here it goes, 6 weird things about me:

1. From as far back as I can remember, I've known I not only wanted to travel but spend some time living abroad. From childhood, my heart longed for something it didn't know, yet knew it couldn't live without. I've had an innate yearning to see the world. I even went through phases of trying to convince my parents to move to places such as Norway and I think Siberia.

2. I had this thing about considering non-conventional careers as a kid - President, commercial fisherman, and funeral director, just to name a few. Probably my most unusual though was my declaration that I was going to be a nun, especially considering I wasn't Catholic. However, as a young kid, I already saw life scripted - college, marriage, family - and I figured becoming a nun would be the most socially acceptable way to excuse my lack of desire for marriage and a family of my own.

3. A piece of my skull is chipped - Jr. high miniature golfing mishap.
Also on the subject of anatomy, I have crooked pinkies, but that one's hereditary.

4. In general, I hate drinking. It's like a chore. Plus, I think water tastes foul. Averting dehydration is a daily battle.

5. I've got sleep issues. First of all, I'm an insomniac. I love to be awake when the world sleeps and I'm most productive at night - it's when I'm at my best. When I do sleep, I average 5-6 hours of rest a night. The enigma, however, is that for as much as I hate retiring the day, I also hate parting with a cozy bed in the morning.

Additionally, and more amusing to others, is the fact that I've been known to talk in my sleep. I have a sibling who's also a sleep talker and our evening confabulations across the hall would amuse our parents.

Better still, however, are the phrases I come up with while in a semi-conscious state, such as when being startled awake or trying to fight off chemically induced drowsiness - anything that
might make me drowsy, will. Things muttered all make sense in my head but my brain and mouth are no longer friends. It's frustrating because I can hear it all coming out wrong, yet I'm powerless to stop it or even know how to fix it.

Actual example: "I'm looking for the bubbles for the tank."

Translation: I can't find my retainer.

6. I didn't like foods that most kids enjoyed: pizza, spaghetti, mac & cheese, hot dogs, french fries, or fish sticks. I'd sometimes have to eat before going to birthday parties and friends' homes. They're still foods that I don't care for much.

5 comments:

~sarah said...

wait a second! what about hot dogs and jumping on the couch? didn't you like them then?

one of my favorite examples of your half-asleep talking: "why is everyone moving and i am not? (pause) that's okay, i'll just live off my muscle back here."

translation: is it time for breakfast? i'm hungry, but too sleepy to move.

Kara said...

ok, yes, i'd jump on the couch while eating a hot dog, but that was mainly because i was left to my own devices a lot as a kid, i was hungry, and everything else in the fridge needed cooked, not that you shouldn't cook hot dogs first. i don't know what i was thinking - i was 4!

and uh, thanks for adding to the evidence of my lapses of sanity when half asleep.

mendacious said...

weirdo!!!

ha...
my last recent example of talking in my sleep is that when at a retreat in june i said apparently "this is absolutely unacceptable."

mendacious said...

wait. hotdogs need to be cooked? why?

Kara said...

i don't know. i don't think they actually need to be, people just do. i detested them cooked but found them tolerable otherwise, but only if i could jump on the sofa while eating one.