Thursday, November 23, 2006

another Thursday

Last night when I got home I was so exhausted that I fell asleep the first place I sat down - my desk chair, and I was out within minutes. At some point I must have moved to bed. I felt rather well rested and happy when I woke this morning - the sun was shining, the sky was blue, birds were chirping. But then a few minutes later, I realized it was Thursday, not Saturday (it was one of those perfect mornings that felt like it must be Saturday) and then I realized it's not just any Thursday but Thanksgiving Thursday and my It's a Beautiful Day attitude dispersed.

Instead of spending the morning in pj's watching the Macy's parade, the afternoon enjoying an amazing home-cooked feast with family and miscellaneous guests, and the evening watching movies (probably Christmas ones) with my parents, I'll be teaching. Today's grand meal will be something along the lines of salad, pizza and Ovaltine. It's not the knowing that I'm missing out on something good that's causing my current doldrums, it's knowing what it is that I'm missing out on that's left me in a slump. However, I refuse to let the nonsense of "woe is me" rule the day. I'm am blessed and thankful to be where I am and doing what I'm doing today, turkey or no turkey. And besides, turkey shall be had on Saturday when friends and I gather to celebrate. For now though, I wish those back home a Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy the holiday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth:
I think you're a turkey.
A turkey that completes me.