Sunday, November 19, 2006

the early birds

The Taiwanese have a way of redefining the term early bird. As I made my way home at 4:30 this morning, I was amazed by all the older folks already out at their neighborhood parks for their morning exercise. It won't even begin to get light for at least another hour, but there they were, the early birds, on their bicycles or out for a walk.
My other brush with early birds this morning: the neighborhood rooftop roosters, which I previously discovered start crowing around 4:00 am. You know you've been up too late when the roosters start crowing before you've gone to sleep and yes, I live in a city with 2.6 million people and a few roosters.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My neighbors keep pet roosters from time to time, and it seems that while everyone grumbles, no one except yours truly has lodged an official complaint with the neighborhood committee.

So my latest tactic:
When the roosters crow, I crow along with them.

The method of my madness:
Amplify the sound and get the other neighbors to think twice. Plus, it's fun.

Anonymous said...

Forget the chickens. I want stories about "The Brothel".