Monday, November 06, 2006

A lovely box of co-co-nas

You'd think that working in an industry where English is the commodity, little things like correct spelling and grammar on signs and postings would be of some importance, but that's not always the case.
My perhaps favorite example of someone's failure to double check was the day I walked into the teacher room and saw a new sign posted on a bookshelf stating: "Do not take boobs off the preemies!" (Yes, the preemies hate that!) Oh, but it gets better. There was a second sign stating: "Please return boobs when finished."

Was this a joke? Did I somehow fail to realize it was actually April Fools Day? I could barely contain my laughter and hardly wait for my friend to arrive to drag her in to see the new signs. While the signs' author was innocent in intentions, the signs themselves were not quite so innocent. I understand spell check isn't going to pick up such errors, however, working in an environment with native English speakers, I'm sure at least one person could be asked to proof things beforehand.


That was a while back and while similar mistakes have not popped up, this week I was amused to see a box of leftover Halloween coconuts labeled: "Co Co Na." For the love of Pete! They're called Coconuts!

No comments: