Tuesday, December 26, 2006

I'll be home for Christmas

This year I got to go home for Christmas, in a manner of speaking. Thanks to the wonderful world of modern technology, my family and I linked via webcams and speaker phones so I could join them for gift opening on Christmas morning. It was great to feel part of Christmas with my family, if only in a small way.

I got to witness dad playing with the new kayaking paddle my bros and I got him. I was beginning to think the recliner in serious jeopardy of being rowed away. Then there was Ross's dog frolicking through the gift wrap and trying to intercept presents being passed. It is usually restricted to the basement but was getting time off for good behavior. I was excited to see my mom open her gift from me - an ipod shuffle, which was followed by looks of bewilderment and comments of "neat - but what is it?" She was fascinated by its petite form, as was my gram later in the morning. Last but not least was my youngest bro who was content to stay out of sight except for modeling new clothes he had received.

Our time together was a nice distraction from that fact that I sat thousands of miles away where Christmas day was drawing to a close and the promise of work in the morning loomed. All in all, a great holiday was had - a house filled with friends plus a visit home. It was nice while it lasted.

No comments: