Monday, February 12, 2007

here on this mountaintop

I'm back on my mountaintop, home of the only place I've seen snow in days.

I took to the road for the weekend heading south to visit friends and relations in Virginia. How I've missed being alone on the open road, surrounded by mountains, flooded with tunes, and thoughts free to roam.

Despite numerous trips to southern VA, this was my first time exploring the VA/D.C. area. I must say, I do prefer the open highway and scenic back roads to the crowded hubbub of beltways, but it's all part of the experience. I managed to find everywhere I needed to go . . . eventually, getting lost only once. I hate getting lost! I hate admitting I don't know how to get somewhere. I hate asking for help. How is it that I can navigate my way though city and countryside with road signs in Chinese yet when I'm back to English, I'm suddenly stupefied?

Nevertheless, the weekend was great. I got to spend time catching up with aunts and cousins I haven't seen in years. I love hearing my aunts' tales of their childhood to get glimpses of what my grandparents and other aunts were like. Though filled with visits, the weekend was on the whole, relaxing. I got to enjoy a bit of time outdoors dog walking with one aunt and checking out the frozen over Potomac with another. And since no trip to the D.C. area could be complete without an actual trip through the District, I was glad to take in an evening drive past the Capitol and a few national monuments. There's just something about the white lights on the old white stone symbols of the nation at night that's cool. Compliments to my driver for the tour.

On the way home, with no agenda awaiting my arrival, it was rather tempting to employ a random exit and get lost in the hills for awhile, but I nixed the notion. Only a few days of my vacation have actually been spent at home so as much as I wished to explore, it was nice getting back somewhere familiar. Back home the winter weather appears to be in full effect. Time to dig out some blades and head to the skate pond.

3 comments:

~sarah said...

did you end up in maryland at any point? all roads lead to maryland...

Kara said...

naturally.

Anonymous said...

Did your aunts and cousins (who you haven't seen in years) recognize you? Or did you send them a photograph of yourself in a kayak to aid the recognition process?