Friday, February 23, 2007

last night

It's my last night at home. I knew from the beginning this day would come and it always arrives faster than expected. Stepping outdoors to see a friend off, I realized I closed the trip the way it began - head cast to the sky delighting in the darkness of night and joyfully exclaiming "Stars!" as though seeing a long lost friend as my words in white breath dissipate and become part of the night. I take it in once more, the crisp, clean, cold mountain air, blankets of white snow in the yard, and the warm glow of light in the windows beckoning me back within the walls of home.

The packing is now complete and only a few hours remain until the early morning farewell. I decided try on my winter coats once more before packing them away in the closet. It's been several years since I've felt the weight of them. I took what I needed from their pockets and left a few tokens of my visit to reminisce over whenever I find myself reunited with them once more.

I bundle in fleece, flannel, and wool for one last night. Part of me longs for one more night of sleep on my comfy bed while the other half of me wants to stay up all night roaming the house, taking it in one more time before I head back. When I woke this morning, I lingered in bed watching the sun dance across the walls, illuminating the room and bringing things back to life. I wanted to soak it in, knowing it would be a few days before my head would again wake on a pillow and that pillow would be thousands of miles away. Perhaps I will give in to sleeping on my bed one more time, if only for an hour or two, but first, I'll visit my window for one last look at the snow, and the woods, and the stars, and the night.

No comments: