Wednesday, March 07, 2007

stuck on replay

I've had a song stuck in my head for two days. I haven't minded entirely because it's a song that I know I like, however, I don't know what it is. It's been one of those things where I know that I know it, I just don't know how or why I know it. For two days, at home, in class, on the road, there it is. The tune's been playing over and over again and the lyrics - if I could just remember any of the lyrics, I'd be all set. Then I could at least look it up. Instead, they've been a series of duh-duh-duts. With just the tune and the sound of when the lyrics appear stuck on play in my head, when it boils down to it, I've got nothing more than frustration.

Ahh, but today, success was mine. I finally managed to remember three words and the mystery, solved. The song? The Funeral by Band of Horses. The irony? It's kind of how I've been feeling the past few days. It's funny how the mind works. I think my subconscious made some connection and was trying to bring it to light in my conscious mind only some key pieces, such as the lyrics, got left out.

The mind is a fascinating thing. So much goes on to help us cope with life that we have no idea is even happening unless we catch a glimpse of it manifested. For me, dreams can be an example of this. I seem to rarely dream, or at least rarely have dreams that I remember after waking up. However, every now and then, I'll have a streak where I'm dreaming every night and sometimes there's a connection amongst them. I've learned some really interesting things this way. For the past week I've been having a streak of really bizarre dreams - not good or bad, just odd. Honestly, if there's some link between them, I'm not so sure I'm in a hurry to find out what it is. For now, I'm content to revel in figuring out that song.

No comments: