Wednesday, March 21, 2007

sugar coated ways

As I cleaned out my freezer to make way for the confectionery contributions that only a trip home could bestowed up me, I realized just how much candy I've managed to stockpile over the past year. There's last year's Easter candy my mom brought over the summer, Halloween candy, Christmas candy, candy from last year's trip to New Zealand, and now the latest additions: more Christmas candy, Valentine's Day candy, and Easter candy.

Perhaps equally disturbing as the mass quantity of sugar based products I've managed to amass is the realization of how sugar coated many of our holidays have become. Greeting card companies easily take a beating for turning holidays commercial but wow, what a foothold the the candy companies have managed to secure. Certain holidays cannot even be thought of without candy coming to mind.

I wonder what this all says about our culture? Do we delight in seeing how far we can stray from the original intent and meaning of something? I don't know. I mean this all as more of an observation than a complaint, after all, what would Easter be like without a Reese's or Cadbury egg?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And what would the Lenten season be like without sugar-coated lentil beans?

Kara said...

exactly.

~sarah said...

in london, there are cadbury egg vending machines ALL YEAR ROUND!

i think americans are just obsessed w/ their stomachs. so much of what we do revolves around filling them and making them look good despite filling them w/ junk.

Kara said...

in new zealand too - they sold the eggs year round and they even have a Cadbury World - oooh, aaaah.

i agree on the stomachs thing.