Thursday, March 22, 2007

weighing in on filth

This morning's shower provoking internal monologue found my thoughts tuned to the topic of filth. This was not because my bathroom was filthy, but rather something about being in the shower reminded me of what a friend recently wrote about filth. Basically, her roommate moved out leaving behind a nasty bit of hair in the shower drain resulting in the drain getting clogged after trying to dislodge the mess. Taking care of the crud left behind by someone else concluded in her going to bed feeling gross.

I could relate to her frustration and sympathize with the sentiment of disgust. Once upon a time in a land far, far away I lived in an apartment with 5 roommates. I was the last to leave during our move out week because my employment contract was the last to finish. The place needed to be spotless for move out inspection and let me just say, what a mess 4 of the 5 left behind for me to clean up. I'm so thankful my mom came to town to help me tackle it.

It's interesting how another's filth can in turn make us feel dirty, especially when having to deal with or clean up the mess, whether of a physical or moral nature. Perhaps it is the Lenten season that has brought on the though, but I couldn't help but think of Christ and what it must have been like to take on the sin of the world - the weight of filth and disgust produced by others and the shame housed in bearing something so vile that was not His. The verse in Isaiah about our righteousness being as filthy rags also came to mind. As I think about a few surprise disgusting messes I've had to clean up in the past, it's humbling to imagine that without grace, even the best of what I can do and offer is so much worse than the things I've had to fight the old gag reflex to clean up. Needless to say, for the rest of the day there was much to think about and much to be thankful for.

2 comments:

~sarah said...

sigh. good reminder. thank you.

Anonymous said...

At least you don't have to clean the public toilets on a ship after 15,000 people have used it. Well I haven't either, and I hope I won't have to either.

*shudder*