Wednesday, June 14, 2006

happiness is . . .
morning dew,
a new photo to adorn my walls

Tonight I was able to pick up a picture I purchased from a recent photo gallery showing of a friend of a friend's work. He has taken some amazing photos and I've enjoyed checking out
his work online as well as reading about his and his girlfriend's travels in SE Asia. I was glad to see that one of my favorite photos was not only included in the show but also available for sale.

According to the photographer, the story behind the photo is this:

It was taken on Christmas Eve in 2005 in the morning light after hiking all night up a mountainside under a full moon. Being amongst the clouds, a soft dew covered everything in the morning, including insect life. The mountain he hiked happens to be Mount Merapi, the one that's been erupting recently in Indonesia. What a unique experience and a cool memory to capture, huh?

So why do I like this photo so much? I thought the details on the butterfly, right down to the droplets of dew, were amazing. I also liked the contrast between something that seemed so delicate and fragile next to something rugged and harsh. Finally, I liked how the softened background makes the vivid colors of life all the more apparent.

(um, for anyone who hadn't noticed, I set up links so you can view the photo as well as The Black Azar's other work, if you wish.)

1 comment:

~sarah said...

nice! i really like the details. it looks like the butterfly is keeping a careful eye on the "intruder." can't wait to see it in person, he he. :)