Sunday, January 28, 2007

go fly a kite

I did not wake this morning, or any morning for that matter, thinking "I should buy a kite today" or pondering how enriched my life would be if only I owned a kite. And yet, there I found myself this evening in the check-out line at Costco with a kite in tow. Confession, I do tend to divert my path past them on each visit to the store to check out the latest assortment because they stock some really nice ones, and while my dad has a cool collection, the sport has never been of much interest to me. However, after spending part of a blustery afternoon driving around some of the city's few remaining green spaces observing the array of colorful sailing kites, I couldn't help but want to be amongst the lot, feet planted yet an extension of myself soaring, delighting in something as simple as the wind. Perhaps it was the rare exposure to fresh air that messed with my thoughts but I'm now the owner of a rather cool kite awaiting assembly. I actually can't wait to give it a try, though waiting I shall indubitably have to do as there isn't likely to time for kite flying until after the holiday. So, if you too are a resident of this fair city and ever find yourself with the overwhelming urge to go fly a kite, just let me know. I'm sure I'll need to be held accountable to actually using it, but I think it could be fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember Rick acquiring a kite three years ago and the high-pitched words "I was so happy I ran like a school-boy!" come out of his mouth.

mendacious said...

flying kites is totally awesome.